Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What I have learned

A few years back, and the way the time flies it might be more than a few, (hey, wasn't the whole Y2K scare just three or four years ago?) I came across the following list from comedian Dave Berry, called the 25 things that I have learned in my 50 years. Here are some of the highlights from the list and clicking on this Google Link will give you various forms of the rest:

- The badness of a movie id directly proportional to the amount of helicopters in it.

- You will never find anybody who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe daylight savings time.

- The most valuable function performed by the federal Government is Entertainment

- The most valuable function performed by the federal government is entertainment.

- You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her at that moment.

- The most powerful force in the universe is gossip.

- The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that deep down inside, we all believe that we are above-average drivers.

- There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

- People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.

- If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be "meetings."

- You should not confuse your career with your life.

- A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.

- No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously.

- Your friends love you anyway.



While not as entertaining as Dave's list, one of the things yours truly has learned is that you can sell a heck of alot more ties with better pictures than with shoddy ones. In the early days I wasn't that handy with a digital camera, but the technology has evolved and its getting harder and harder to screw up pictures. Despite that it seems that I am doing my darnedest to fudge them and most of the time succeeding.

My defense is that silks are really hard to capture without the correct lighting as they reflect the light and the digital camera judges color based on the light intacke (kewl, I know) so flash photography is hard here. The blog has shown me that the best manner to shoot ties is in action.

With that in mind, I have decided to retake lots of the pictures on my site which in all honesty are not portrayed in the pic as nice as they are in real life and thereby kill two birds with one stone. Adding visual content to the Blog and www.FourInHand.com maintenance.

Of course, should you wish to thumb you nose at a look I picture, or should you like to see the tie that I have used with other options please let me know via comment, vote or email. While a vote with your wallet is by far the best vote of confidence you can offer :-) , I will take anything you have to say, seriously.

Enough talk for now, tomorrow we start a series of posts called "Tie by Tie".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the Blog! Rest assured that I will get back to you!